Taking care of your diet has become a major concern for many of us. Eating “local” in Livradois-Forez means choosing good and organic products, favoring products shaped by this region, and putting a face to what you buy.
In Livradois-Forez, happiness is in the flavor
In Livradois-Forez, many producers work according to the principles ofa more natural and sustainable culture, which guarantees the production of flavors and nutritional qualities. So that to reach your plates, market gardeners and cheese makers choose a direct sale on farm and in producers' shops, or on weekly markets. And offer you the opportunity to eat locally.
Because in Livradois we are attached to a certain idea of taste, not that of labels no, the other, that which arises from patient work, from a search for the “better” rather than “always more”. But also this taste which is announced in mouth rather than that which one posts in the advertisements of the large signs.
Country markets to eat well, good and local
In Livradois-Forez, the country markets are not just a meeting place. They are also the opportunity to meet those who enhance this land, and support an economy. On the squares of towns and villages, basket in arm, you can do much more than buy blindly. It is the time to discover these fruits and vegetables, these cheeses, these honeys, jams, butters and creams, cured meats… Andappreciate the work of the producers, to know them. Of know where grows, where ripens what we eat, and how. To taste, of course. In short, to eat locally in Livradois-Forez.
Go to the farm, to the cellar, to the workshop. Taste a jam of red fruits taken out of the copper cauldron, a little of this pink garlic grown in the ocher fields of Billom. Savor mountain honey, a bit of that good farmer's tomme or that fourme d'Ambert AOP. Craft beers will quench your thirst and surprise you with the richness of their flavors.
You are free to eat good and local food in Livradois-Forez!
The country markets of Livradois-Forez
- Monday morning: Arlanc, Billom, Le Vernet-Chaméane (1er and 3e of the month, every Monday in July/August), Maringues, Paulhaguet.
- Tuesday morning: Courpière, Sauxillanges, Saint-Anthème (2e and 4e of the month), Viverols (1er and 3e of the month).
- Wednesday morning: Allègre, Chabreloche, Chauriat, Cunlhat, Puy-Guillaume, Ravel, Thiers (lower town).
- Thursday morning: Ambert, La Chaise-Dieu, Saint-Rémy-sur-Durolle, Thiers (upper town).
- Thursday afternoon: Châteldon, Saint-Bonnet-le-Bourg (country market from 18 p.m. to 20 p.m. in summer)
- Friday: Champagnac-le-Vieux (morning), Cistrières (from 18 p.m. to 20 p.m. in July/August), La Monnerie-le-Montel (from 16 p.m. to 19 p.m.), Moissat – organic market – (1er and 3e Friday of each month from 16 p.m. to 20 p.m.), Peschadoires (from 16 p.m. to 20 p.m.), Vertaizon.
- Saturday morning: Ambert (producers' market, Place Saint-Jean from April to December), Lezoux, Noirétable, Olliergues, Pérignat-ès-Allier, Thiers (upper town).
- Sunday morning: Marsac-en-Livradois, Mezel, Olliergues (farmers' market in summer), Saint-Anthème (in summer), Saint-Rémy-sur-Durolle, Sauvain.